|simple and delicious|
Everything you love about sloppy Joe's, lotsa tomato, subtle spice, a dash of tang and a hint of sweet, minus the hamburg. This vegetarian classic replaces the meat with fast cooking lentils making it great for busy weeknight dinners plus it makes a ton so you can have it for lunch the next day. I've made this dish a lot and it always comes out great and all the omnis I have made it for think its delicious as well. Traditionally served on burger buns it can also be served chili style with some shredded cheese and a big hunk of corn bread, like pictured above.
Lentil Snobby Joe's
adapted from theppk.com
1C dry lentils
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 jalepano or 1/2tsp red pepper flakes
1 12oz can tomato sauce
2T tomato paste
2T chili powder
1T yellow mustard
2T maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook lentils until they are soft but not mushy.
2. In a BIG skillet or pot, cook the onion, peppers, and garlic until soft.
3. Add the cooked and drained lentils to the veggies.
4. Add the seasonings and stir well. Then add the tomato sauce, paste, mustard and syrup.
5. Simmer on low for at least 10 minutes.