Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza and Pasta, Part 1


I could eat pizza every night and never get board. There are so many different crusts, sauces and topping combinations, the possibilities are endless. This cauliflower pizza differs from traditional pie in that the crust is made of grated cauliflower instead of dough. It has a light fluffy texture and with the sauce and cheese, tastes remarkably like classic cheese pizza. I gave a slice to my Italian dad without telling him what it was, and he declared it was delicious and asked me what bakery I picked up the dough from, he still doesn't know it was cauliflower. My Papa Gino's fanatic boyfriend also thinks it taste like the real thing and he even knows what its truly made out of.  I've been making this pizza for years, and because there is no dough you can serve it along side pasta without having a carb overload. Its also a wonderful trick to sneak more veggies into anyone's diet.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Ingredients
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 egg
1 clove of garlic
1/2T oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400. Grate the cauliflower. To do this I recommend a food processor but a cheese grater will also work but its time consuming and it can get dangerous, I've cut myself a few times on those.
2. If using a food processor you can throw all the other ingredients in a bowl and pulse to combine. If your making it without, use a medium size bowl and your hands.
3. Flatten the mixture into an 8x8in pan spritzed with cooking spray. Cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Top with sauce and cheese and cook until the cheese is bubbly

Notes
For a cheesier taste, mix a half  a cup of  shredded mozzarella into the cauliflower mixture (step 2).
The recipe can be doubled to fit a 9x11in pan.
The only drawback to this pizza is its hard to eat with your hands, you need a fork.


No comments:

Post a Comment