Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

White Fish Tacos


Fish tacos are pretty popular on restaurant menus but I had never tried making my own until now. It was super easy and featured some of my favorite flavors like fresh cilantro, spicy peppers, and lime. They were also very easy to make. While the fish marinated in lime juice I was able to get everything else chopped for the pico de gallo and cilantro cream sauce. For a healthy substitute, I made the cream sauce with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it was delicious and even tasted great on the pineapple. I had considered making refried beans or brown rice as a more typical side dish but my boyfriend and I both love pineapple and I found a huge one at the grocery store. Tacos are also great for a crowd because everyone can pick what they want or don't want on their own taco.
I used tilapia for my fish tacos but haddock or cod would also be fabulous and I suspect shrimp would be as well. Be careful not to marinate the fish any longer than 15-20 minutes. Because of its delicate protein structure, fish tenderizes much quicker than chicken or beef.

White Fish Tacos


Ingredients

For the fish:
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
¼ tsp. cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. tilapia (or any mild white fish)
Salt

For the cilantro cream sauce:
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp. cilantro, minced
6 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 small clove garlic, minced
pinch of stevia to taste (or sugar)
salt and pepper to taste

For serving:
6-inch corn tortillas, slightly warmed in the oven or microwave
crunchy lettuce, iceberg or Romain
pico de gallo (recipe later)

Directions

1. Combine the lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and garlic in a shallow dish.  Whisk together until well blended.  Place the fish in the mixture, turning to coat.  Let marinate 15-20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the cilantro cream sauce.  Combine all the ingredients for it in a small bowl and mix until well blended.

3. Heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the fish and cook about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate, adjust the seasonings, and let cool for a few minutes.  Shred the fish into bite-sized pieces with two forks.

4. Assemble tacos on tortillas with shredded fish, cilantro cream sauce and toppings as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment