Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Crunchy Mustard Baked Salmon


The topping on this is absolutely delicious, I will definitely be making it regularly. Its lightly seasoned fresh bread crumbs mixed with whole grain and Dijon mustards and a tad of butter to hold it all together. I could eat this mix with a spoon right out of the food processor. It reminded me of hot dogs during the summer time! I used to love eating hot dogs topped with lots of mustard but haven't had any since giving up meat 2 years ago. This is a wonderful replacement, I guess what I really missed was mustard. 
The fish itself was on the dry side. I'm not sure if I overcooked it (I cannot eat undercooked fish!) or if It needed a marinade prior to cooking. Next time I plan on trying it with white fish.


Crunchy Mustard Baked Salmon

adapted from Serious Eats

2 slices wheat bread, torn into rough chunks.
4 boneless skinless salmon fillets, about 3-4 ounces each
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)


Preheat the broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below the element. Pulse bread in the bowl of a food processor until coarse crumbs are created, add both mustards, butter, salt and pepper, and thyme if using. Pulse to combine. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add a about a tablespoon of oil and a little butter. Add salmon skin-side down and cook without moving until a nice crust has formed, about 2 minutes. Only sear one side. Pile the crumbs on the salmon, then transfer to the broiler. Broil until the crumbs are crunchy and browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.








No comments:

Post a Comment